Guide » Fish & Wildlife

Angling Guide Licence Guide

What's New Start your Fish & Wildlife application

What you need to apply

Are you applying for a new licence?

All new Angling Guide licence applicants must provide the following with their completed application:

  • Classified and/or Unclassified AGOP (Angling Guide Operating Plans)
    • If you are submitting a Classified AGOP when applying for an Angling Guide licence for the first time, you must include Classified Angler Day Transfer application package
  • Copy of Proof of successful Angling Guide Exam.

Are you renewing your licence?

Applicants renewing their licences must:

  • File their angling guide reports from the previous year
  • Submit a new AGOP (a new AGOP must be submitted every 5 years)
  • Submit Angling Guide Reports online through the angling guide reporting website (see below) before a new licence can be issued. Angling Guide Reports will not be accepted as attachments to applications

Please review your application form carefully and ensure that all required fields have been filled out before you submit your application

Angling Guide Exam

The Angling Guide examination is a screening tool. A mark of eighty percent (80%) is required to pass the exam. However, under Section 50 of the Wildlife Act, the Regional Manager must be satisfied that the applicant has a working knowledge of the Wildlife Act and Regulations. This may require further consultation in addition to the exam.

There is no fee associated with the exam. The exam is one hour in length and is made up of thirty-seven (37) multiple choice questions.

Questions in the exam are intended to test the applicants knowledge of the angling portions of the Wildlife Act, the Angling and Scientific Collection Regulation and the BC Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis. This information can be accessed electronically online or in hard copy, per the following:

  • Wildlife Act - study definitions and sections related to angling - sections 12, 13, 14, 15, 49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 93, 96
    • online copy
    • hard copy: public library, or BC Courthouse Library
  • Angling and Scientific Collection Regulation
    • online copy
    • hard copy: public library, or BC Courthouse Library
  • Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis
    • online copy
    • hard copy: Government Agent Office or wherever freshwater angling licences are sold

You may schedule an examination through your local Government Agents Office. Click here to find the Service BC location nearest you.

Electronic Angling Guide Reporting

Angling guides must report all guiding activity by March 31, or April 30 where there is guiding activity during March. Reports must be submitted online through the Angling Guide Reporting website.

Angling Guide Annual Reporting Steps

  1. Get a BCeID (If you do not already have one)
  2. Record your guiding information (spreadsheet):
  3. Access the Angling Guide Reporting Site (SharePoint)
  4. Submit your guide report (submission form and spreadsheet)

Additional Angling Guide Reporting Information