Water Licence Application

Start your Water Licence Application


This application is to apply for a water licence under the Water Sustainability Act (WSA) which if granted, permits you to divert, use or store surface water from a stream, and to construct works.

Stream is a defined term in the WSA. A stream includes a natural watercourse, a natural body of water, or source of water supply, and a lake, pond, river, creek, spring, ravine, gulch, wetland, or glacier.

A water licence specifies the water source, the water use purpose, the maximum quantity of water that may be used, and the works associated with the water use, as well as where the water can be used. Water use may be restricted to certain times of the year.

You can apply to use water for more than one water use purpose on your application. Read the Water Policies to see which one(s) you should apply for.

If your proposed works will occupy Crown land you will be required to provide proof that an authorization for that use of Crown land has been granted, or an application for an authorization to use Crown land has been made. Authorization can be in the form of a Permit Over Crown Land, or a more formal tenure under the Land Act. Tenure under the Land Act is normally required for larger projects such as waterpower or waterworks. If you require a Crown Land authorization, but do not already have one, you will be prompted to apply for a permit or tenure as part of the water licence application process.