FrontCounter BC Website
FrontCounter BC Discovery Tool
Launch Discovery Tool
Discovery Tool Course
Discovery Tool Tutorial PDF
To use the FrontCounter BC Discovery Tool requires Google Earth to be installed on your computer. You need to be familiar with Google Earth and its tutorials, particularly the navigation tutorial.
The FrontCounter BC Discovery Tool is designed to help you view an area of land within the Province of British Columbia to determine basic information on how the land is currently being used. The information can be used to assist you in choosing an appropriate application area for your needs.
For example, privately held lands, Provincial Parks, National Parks or First Nations Reserves are some of the highly constrained lands in their potential for Crown authorizations and will require you to contact FrontCounter BC to determine whether your proposed activity is permissible. Avoiding highly constrained lands when seeking potential candidate areas for your proposed application may improve your likelihood of success.
You can use this tool in a variety of ways:
- To discover general land use: a colour legend will appear when you click on each layer name;
- To create your Area of Interest (as a placemark, path or polygon) in the correct location you are interested in;
- To look at your Area of Interest in relation to other land interests to see if it is available and compatible, and;
- To create an electronic file of your Area of Interest that can be submitted with your electronic application.
DISCLAIMER: This tool does not show all interests, you should contact FrontCounter BC to see if other interests exist that may conflict with your application before submitting it. Your saved geomark can be emailed to FrontCounterBC@gov.bc.ca prior to submission for this purpose.
Download Google Earth
Updates September 2015
The following enhancements have been incorporated into the FrontCounter BC Discovery Tool:
- The Wildlife Management Area layer has been replaced by the Conservation Lands layer (which includes WMAs)
- The Coal Layer has been fixed.
- The Mines legacy layers were deleted.
- The hyperlinks to metadata has been updated to new metadata locations.
- The Discovery Tool Tutorial has been updated.
If you have previously used the FCBC Discovery Tool, follow the steps below to clear out the old information from your system and replace it with the new information: :
- Load Google Earth
- On the menu bar, First click on "File" and then click on "Server Logout" option.
- On the menu bar, First click on "Tools" then click on "Options". On the pop up window click "Cache" tab and click on "Delete Cache File" button.
- On the menu bar, First click on "File" and then click on "Server Login" option.
- Exit Google Earth
- On the FCBC Discovery Tool Page, click on "Launch Discovery Tool" button and load the new KML.
- If you previously had your FrontCounter BC KML saved in My Places on Google Earth, you may need to right-click on that layer name and choose Refresh to see the updated information.